This publication presents a summary of statistics relating to young Australians aged 15 to 19 years who participated in education and training during 2016. It brings together data from multiple sources.
As at August 2016 there were 1.5 million young Australians aged 15 to 19 years, of which an estimated 83.2% participated in education and training. Of these, an estimated:
- 57.1% were at school
- 14.3% were enrolled in a VET in Schools program
- 42.8% were at school but not participating in a VET in Schools program
- 16.2% were enrolled in higher education
- 4.4% were undertaking an apprenticeship or traineeship, which was not part of a VET in Schools program
- 5.5% were enrolled in other VET programs.
In the 2016 calendar year, among those aged 15 to 19 years there were:
- 844,000 school students
- 233,700 VET in Schools students
- 342,900 higher education students
- 75,800 apprenticeships and traineeship commencements
- an estimated 707 500 VET students
- 316,300 government-funded VET students.