Under the National Framework for Governments’ Support of the Major Performing Arts Sector (the MPA Framework), the Australia Council administers funding to MPA companies on behalf of the Australian Government and state governments, at levels they set and agree to. The MPA companies receive funding to develop and present excellent artistic works and foster a vibrant and sustainable performing arts sector.
The Australia Council strengthens the arts ecology through the support and strategic development of regularly funded organisations by:
- Managing funding relationships with multi-year funded organisations including 28 Major Performing Arts companies to achieve the highest level of artistic practice and sustainability
- Supporting arts organisations to lead in innovation, collaboration and development of original work
- Supporting organisations to reflect on their artistic and cultural vibrancy
- Offering a range of sector upskilling programs to build the capabilities of arts organisations and arts leaders
- Strengthening sector knowledge, planning and forecasting through evidence based evaluation and data analysis.
Feedback received from MPA companies and the wider sector indicates there is support for changed arrangements. The consultation contributed to the identification of opportunities to create an enhanced framework to better support Australia’s arts ecology.
These opportunities are outlined in this consultation paper.