The South Australian Premier, The Hon. Mike Rann, sought advice from the Social Inclusion Board on new and effective ways to support young people with a disability to transition to the post-school environment.
The Board has concluded that young people with a disability most 'at risk' of not making a transition from school to activities are those who are:
· likely to be early school leavers;
· studying although not able to move onto employment;
· unemployed, temporarily ill or injured and not engaging in learning or employment;
· receiving a Disability Support Pension who are not connected to developmental activity; and
· receiving the Newstart allowance and have done so for a considerable time.
The report presents 19 recommendations which provide a blueprint for a comprehensive, joint approach that enables greater participation.