This project was commissioned by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC), and has five main components.
- An analysis of population movement for Australia, at the statistical division level, detailing intrastate, interstate and net migration against a range of demographic, productive and human capital criteria.
- An analysis of the mobility patterns for recent migrants, along similar lines to that undertaken for the total population.
- An investigation into the effects and impacts of recent migration on population, the labour and housing markets, and general infrastructure, and recent migrants' impact on fertility.
- Development of future migration scenarios between now and 2021
- The implication of various future migration scenarios, in terms of population and migration policies, regional development, and provision of services related to education, health, housing, and issues such as sustainability and community harmony.