The Veterans and Families Strategy will guide the activities of the Veterans Issues portfolio. It’s purpose is to:
- Recognise and support veterans and their families.
- Encourage and enable their ongoing participation and contribution to the broader community.
- Understand who and where Western Australian veterans are, and their interests and needs.
- Commemorate the service and sacrifice of Australian service personnel.
- Educate the broader community on the significance and impact of Australia’s wars on our nation.
The Australian taxpayer invests considerable resources in training and developing our sailors, soldiers, airmen and airwomen. These men and women are carefully selected, expertly trained and tested by a range of experiences at home and overseas. They are among the best in the world.
All military careers end and our men and women in uniform will inevitably become civilians again. Some will come home to Western Australia, while others will choose to make our state their home.
It is the responsibility of the State Government to make the most of these Western Australians, facilitating their participation in all our state has to offer, maximising the social and economic benefit to the community and to the veterans and their families.