The Suicide Prevention Strategy 2019–2029 and Action Plan 2019–2024 for Aotearoa New Zealand has three main focus areas:
- Promoting wellbeing
- Responding to suicidal distress and behaviour
- Supporting individuals, whanau and communities after a suicide
Actions that will be taken:
- Establishing a Suicide Prevention Office.
- Develop and progress a national research plan.
- Develop a suicide prevention and postvention workforce development plan.
- Develop a monitoring and evaluation framework for Every Life Matters.
- Increase wellbeing support for children and young people in places of learning.
- Support delivery of suicide prevention education programmes.
- Work with Maori and people with lived experience of suicidal behaviours to develop national guidelines for managing suicide risk to be used within district health boards (DHBs) and NGOs.
- Implement a free national suicide bereaved counselling service.