The project’s aim was to increase understanding of the lived experience of being a trans woman of colour living in Australia, in relation to gender transitioning and experiences of sexual violence. Therefore, the specific research questions were as follows:
- What are the lived experiences of gender transitioning for trans women of colour living in Australia?
- What are the lived experiences of sexual violence of trans women of colour living in Australia?
- What strategies do trans women of colour living in Australia employ to deal with sexual violence in their everyday lives in order to enhance their health and wellbeing?
- What are the experiences of sexual violence in broader trans communities in Australia?
- How do the experiences of sexual violence of trans women of colour living in Australia compare to those of non-CALD trans women and to LBQ (lesbian, bisexual or queer) and heterosexual cisgender women living in Australia?
- Gender transitioning is a complex process that impacts on trans women’s risk of sexual violence
- Sexual violence is a common experience for trans women of colour
- Trans women of colour need support to address sexual violence in their lives