This public discussion paper is to inform an extensive, Territory-wide community consultation process with First Nations Territorians, led by the Treaty Commissioner, to assess whether a consensus or majority view exists on all or any of the matters included in this paper.
This paper provides detailed information, and throws out questions for consultation:
- Why is a Treaty needed in the Northern Territory?
- What minimum standards should be required?
- What should the scope and content of treaty/treaties be?
- What is the legal context for treaties in the NT?
- What is national and international best practice?
The discussion paper also proposes options for a treaty making framework and negotiation model in the NT to be discussed during consultations.