In this submission, the Summer Foundation requests support from the federal government to achieve:
- Timely allocation of SDA funding and support in NDIS plans. The NDIA needs to match the aged care benchmark and take 3 days instead of 60+ to allocate funding for people with disability stuck in hospital. Note: 3 days for NDIA to make an SDA determination, following receipt of all relevant evidence.
- The NDIA to commit to make the best use of the new build SDA dwellings that are vacant and the SDA stock under construction.
- The Federal Government to provide $54 million to improve hospital discharge efficiency for NDIS participants.
If these actions are taken by the government, it would:
- Achieve better outcomes for up to 30,000 NDIS participants with the highest support needs
- Create positive momentum for the NDIS fostering innovation and application of insurance principles to achieve scheme sustainability rather than indiscriminate slashing of NDIS plans