This ALIA report gives educators, employers and students greater clarity about the education and employment landscape in Australia in 2014. Key points:
- In 2014, there were 26 institutions delivering 39 ALIA accredited courses around Australia.
- There were approximately 4,800 students studying for an LIS qualification every year, 25% through higher education, 75% through VET.
- LIS workers were significantly older, with the median age between six and 10 years higher, compared with all occupations.
- In the last five years, there has been a 22.5% drop in the number of Librarian positions in the workforce.
- The core skills, knowledge and attributes required by library and information professionals are evolving.