The Australia We Want is the first ever benchmark of how Australia and each State and Territory is performing against values and goals prioritised by leaders from across the charities sector. These values include: just, fair, safe, inclusive, equality of opportunity, united, authentic, creative, confident, courageous, optimistic, generous, kind, and compassionate. Drawing on key statistics from the OECD, ABS and the AIHW, to evaluate these values, the report reveals that:
- Australian incarceration rates are high - 3 times that of Ireland and rising (how just are we?)
- Australian suicide rates are higher than our road toll and increasing (how inclusive are we?)
- Inequality in income distribution is higher than most other OECD countries - and growing (how fair are we?)
- Australians volunteer less and give less as a percentage of income than five years ago (how kind and generous are we?)
- Australia is slipping down both the international corruption scale and the scale of international generosity (how authentic and compassionate are we?)
The values and indicators outlined in this report provide a framework for exploring, debating and evaluating the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats inherent in the way all of us act - charities, businesses, governments, communities.