This issues paper has been prepared to describe the context and objectives of the review to achieve educational excellence in Australian schools.
It poses a series of questions intended to stimulate thinking around how success can be defined and measured, what can be done to improve and how ongoing improvement can be supported
All interested parties have the opportunity to respond by lodging a submission with ideas, evidence and insights on how best to answer these questions.
In line with the Terms of Reference, the review will focus on the effective and efficient use of funding for primary and secondary schools, to:
· improve student outcomes and Australia's national performance, as measured by national and international assessments of student achievement
· improve the preparedness of school leavers to succeed in employment, further training or higher education
· improve outcomes across all cohorts of students, including disadvantaged and vulnerable students and academically-advanced students (‘gifted’ students).
To support these recommendations, the review will also:
· provide advice on related institutional or governance arrangements to ensure the ongoing identification and implementation of evidence based actions to grow and sustain improved student outcomes over time
· propose related transparency and accountability measures that support the effective monitoring, reporting and application of investment.
Submissions close 5:00 pm AEDST Thursday 2 November 2017.
The final report and recommendations will be provided to government by March 2018.