On the 16 June 2015 the following matter be referred to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report:
the impact of the 2014 and 2015 Commonwealth Budget decisions on the Arts; and
the suitability and appropriateness of the establishment of a National Programme for Excellence in the Arts, to be administered by the Ministry for the Arts, with particular reference to:the effect on funding arrangements for:
- small to medium arts organisations,
- individual artists,
- young and emerging artists,
- the Australia Council,
- private sector funding of the arts, and
- state and territory programs of support to the arts,
- protection of freedom of artistic expression and prevention of political influence,
- access to a diversity of quality arts and cultural experiences,
- the funding criteria and implementation processes to be applied to the program,
- implications of any duplication of administration and resourcing, and
- any related matter.
On 10 November 2015, the Senate granted an extension of time for reporting until 2 December 2015.