The Northern Territory government has released this six-month review of the Territory’s workplace regulator, NT WorkSafe. The review examined present policies, procedures and activities, and considers how best practices can be implemented to support staff and the industry.
The review makes 27 recommendations to improve workplace health and safety regulation in the NT, to protect Territory workers and businesses. They include:
- rebalancing organisational priorities to meet Territorians’ expectations about work safety
- ensuring people across the Territory have access to NT WorkSafe
- upgrading skills in relation to compliance and investigation, and improving systems
- refocusing resources to allow for prosecutions and ‘hard-compliance’ activities
- clarifying regulator functions to further strengthen independence.