The COAG Energy Council requested the Energy Security Board to advise on a long-term, fit-for-purpose market framework to support reliability, modifying the National Electricity Market as necessary to meet the needs of future diverse sources of non-dispatchable generation and flexible resources including demand side response, storage and distributed energy resource participation.
The paper explains the proposed analytic approach to the project and proposes five key challenges that will be material to market design in 2025:
- Driving innovation to benefit the consumer
- Investment signals to ensure reliability
- Integration of DER into the electricity market
- System security services and resilience
- Integration of variable renewable energy into the power system.
This paper seek feedback on:
- the possible future scenarios that will be used when assessing options for change,
- the assessment framework for evaluating market design options
- the opportunities, challenges and risks that need to be considered as the project looks to identify market design options; and
- the implications for market design resulting from these opportunities, challenges and risk.
Submissions close 30 September 2019.