This Issues Paper has been developed to inform the ACT Commissioner for Sustainability and the Environment (the Commissioner) on the following matter:
How can government, industry and the community address climate change impacts in sporting settings? It focuses specifically on:
- climate change as it relates to sport and active recreation in Canberra, and
- the role of government, the sport industry, and community in climate change adaptation and mitigation.
This issue links to the Office’s 2017 Implementation Status Report on ACT’s Climate Change Policy and the 2019 State of the Environment Report. It relates directly to the statutory remit of the Office.
The purpose of this paper is to:
- inform the Commissioner of the performance status of the ACT,
- raise awareness and understanding in the community, and
- engage and motivate key stakeholders to take action.