10 years beyond bushfires report
PublisherBushfire prevention Community recovery Disaster planning Bushfires Community development Victoria
|10 years beyond bushfires report||15.07 MB|
This report presents an overview of the key learnings in the 10 years since the bushfires 2009 Victorian bushfires.
- The results showed individual and community capacity to recover from a disaster experience and subsequent disruptions, and to adapt to changed lives and environments. There were many reports of post-traumatic growth, particularly for people from high impact communities.
- There was also evidence of extended impacts for many on mental health and wellbeing, especially for those who had to deal with other major life stressors.
- Elevated levels of anger and exposure to violence were also identified.
- Participants tended to be more positive about their own recovery after 10 years than the recovery of their community.
- Particular recovery issues were identified for children, families and school communities, including potential long term academic impacts for students.
University of Melbourne 2021
Access Rights Type:
1 Apr 2021