The document identifies problems with the current surrogacy law and presents proposals for reform. Within the document a broad range of topics related to surrogacy are covered:
- legal parenthood in surrogacy;
- the approval process for surrogacy arrangements,
- what financial support surrogates should be entitled to,
- whether tikanga Māori is provided for under current law,
- how to ensure children born through surrogacy receive information about their origins,
- how New Zealand law should provide for surrogacy arrangements that occur overseas, and
- how to address various barriers to pursuing a surrogacy arrangement in Aotearoa New Zealand.