This strategy and the three-year action plan is the first of its kind for the Territory. It demonstrates the NT Government’s responsibility and accountability to all Territorians with disability. People with disability have guided the development of the strategy, and their voices, experiences and choices are reflected throughout.
The strategy is for:
- the more than one-in-nine Territorians with disability
- businesses that employ and support people with disability
- the community that welcomes people with disability
- the public sector that provides services that everyone can access.
The strategy aims to address the barriers to equality, and improve and empower Territorians with disability through:
- protecting and respecting their rights and choices
- breaking down barriers to achieve social inclusion and participation
- increasing accessibility to places, information and services
- providing education, skills and opportunities to increase employment and provide financial security
- supporting their health and wellbeing.
The three-year action plan is the first of 3 action plans to be developed over the life of the strategy. It lays the foundation for the 10-year strategy to be implemented.