This report outlines the proceedings and outcomes of the 5th National Workshop of the Australian Association of Gerontology Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Ageing Advisory Group held in Perth in November 2017.
The workshop aimed to address the inequities of access and outcomes for older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples under the current aged care reform program, and suggest directions for the future.
Key issues identified at the workshop were:
- current barriers to equity of access and quality outcomes
- specialist targeted services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elders
- delivery of appropriate care by mainstream aged care service providers
- an aged care workforce that improves access and quality care
- advocacy services
- appropriate aged care needs assessment
- an evidence-based approach.