The eHealth Strategic Development Plan 2020 is a part of the Public Health Development Plan 2009–20204. The Strategy focuses particularly on the choices and activities related to e-services, in order to achieve the situation in the area of health described in eHealth vision 2025. The Strategy supports all the general and area-based goals of the Public Health Development Plan, being directly related to the sub-goal “All people have access to high-quality healthcare services by optimum use of resources” and activity 5.4.11 from the application plan of 2015 “Application of the principles and innovative solutions of E-State, increasing the efficiency of the cooperation and information exchange of service providers.”
The eHealth strategy directly supports also the implementation of the vision and development plan of Estonian information society 2020 and the approach of smart specialisation in supporting the growth of the Estonian economy. Thus, eHealth aggregates the services of development of e-solutions aimed at health in the areas of health, welfare and labour market, considering the relevant general development directions and principles of e-state, and the development possibilities of entrepreneurship, research and development in the area.
eHealth strategy includes all the technological and organisational components related to health data or the provision of remote services through e-channels. It is called the eHealth system and it includes the state information library Health Information System (TIS) and other IT devices and applications processing health information (including the information systems of health care providers, the equipment in possession of people, smart devices, etc.).
In order to implement the eHealth strategy, it is necessary to develop the base competencies and innovation of health services supported by the possibilities of technology in the following five focus areas:
- High-quality health information and an infrastructure of health data. Data acquisition is of high quality and data acquisition is efficient from the place of creation until the availability to different users.
- Focus on persons and personal medicine. Improved possibilities of people to participate in active management of their state of health; by person-based health and gene data analysis and digital decision support it is possible to offer better targeted services to people; R&D activities and entrepreneurship in the health area have expanded.
- Comprehensive case management and cooperation of organisations. The provision of sustainable comprehensive health services is possible through all the stages of the health services (from prevention to rehabilitation), as the provider(s) of health care services and the persons themselves have comprehensive information about the state of health and the action plan of different parties; health services are smoothly integrated with the social and labour market services.
- Effectiveness of health services and capacity for analysis. It is possible to measure and analyse the effectiveness of the services at all levels of the health system in order to make planning and management decisions.
- Development of remote services. The use of remote services and the health services based on those (remote health care and remote care) makes is possible to achieve a better costeffectiveness of the health system and accessibility of the services; R&D activities and entrepreneurship in the area of health have expanded.