This report includes an analysis of energy retailer performance against indicators such as market share, customer service, disconnections, hardship program participants and debt levels. This annual report also covers average price changes in the energy offers available for residential and small business customers and provides an overview of Essential Services Commission's auditing activities.
Key findings of the report include:
- more people were signed up to hardship programs (up 25 per cent)
- residential disconnections increased substantially (up 20 per cent) from 46,083 to 55,474
- call wait times almost doubled from an average 46 seconds to 88 seconds (up 91 per cent)
- average residential electricity and gas prices increased up to 16 per cent
- average debt for new participants was $1,377 - up 11 per cent on 2016-17
- nine licences were granted, including six new generation licences (two solar farms and four wind farms).