The Australia Council for the Arts is the Australian Government’s principal arts funding and advisory body.
The arts have immense public value – from the intrinsic value of human expression, through to broader social, economic and cultural impacts – they are vital for our individual and community wellbeing. The arts contribute to our education, our health, our advancement and our international reputation. The arts give life meaning and Australians are proud of our artists.
The Australia Council is a champion for Australian arts both here and overseas. We invest in the arts by supporting all facets of the creative process, and we are committed to the arts being accessible to all Australians.
We achieve this through:
- a peer assessed grants program, fellowships and awards
- management of Government directed initiatives and frameworks
- national and international strategic activity that develops sector capacity and increases markets and audiences for Australian work
- research, evaluation and analysis
- co-investment and strategic partnership development
- advocacy for Australian arts and artists
- providing advice to the Government on matters connected with the arts.
This discussion paper sets out our proposed strategic priorities for 2020 to 2024. These priorities will inform our future investment in the arts.
The Australia Council invites responses from all people and organisations with an interest in arts and culture.
- The Discussion Paper and Survey will be available until 5.00pm AEST 10 May 2019.
- The final strategy will be released in late August 2019.