This strategy has been developed by the Education Department through the South Australian Bullying Prevention Coalition, which includes Catholic and Independent school sectors, the Commissioner for Children and Young People, government departments and leading bullying prevention researchers.
Actions within the school gates include:
- strengthening bully prevention policy requirements and compliance measures in schools
- providing evidence-based curriculum content for children to learn about bullying, cyberbullying and online safety
- a targeted expansion of the PEACE Pack program based on the findings of the pilot
- providing all teachers with access to foundational training about supporting students who are at higher risk of bullying
- piloting the Friendly Schools program across all public schools in the Greater Gawler partnership
- providing new resources and training for teachers, students and families about bullying; and
- a partnership with the Youth Affairs Council of South Australia to support student-led bullying prevention initiatives in schools.
Actions beyond the school gates include:
- piloting a community recreation program in the City of Playford council area, strengthening children’s involvement in community programs
- an initiative that will see young people advise decision makers and urban planners about the establishment of safe child and youth-oriented spaces; and
- a comprehensive consultation process across the major sporting codes, led by the Commissioner for Children and Young People, to develop child-designed bullying prevention initiatives.