Growing New Zealand's capital markets 2029
A vision and growth agenda to promote stronger capital markets for all New Zealanders
PublisherSharemarkets Economic growth New Zealand
|Growing New Zealand's capital markets 2029 (report)||5.1 MB|
A number of trends that could undermine the effectiveness of capital markets and have long-term consequences for the country’s wealth if left unaddressed:
- A KiwiSaver regime that encourages saving, but fosters investment predominantly in lower-growth assets and has limited exposure to private markets.
- A large number of New Zealanders who are not actively participating in KiwiSaver.
- A two-tier public market that is working well for the larger companies, but is less liquid and effective for smaller companies.
- A public market that is struggling to attract new listings.
- Private markets that are working well and growing, but not necessarily serving the full range of New Zealand investors, nor the full range of investment stages.
- A sound regulatory regime, albeit with areas which could be improved to assist the flow of capital.
- Raise the level of individual participation and engagement in capital markets.
- Offer more choice of investment for individuals, both within KiwiSaver and more generally.
- Grow the base of companies that can access the public capital market, reduce the barriers to listing where possible and increase motivation for public companies to remain listed.
- Grow the private capital ecosystem in New Zealand.
- Use the capital markets to fund infrastructure in New Zealand.
- Create greater wealth for New Zealanders.
Ernst & Young New Zealand 2019
All Rights Reserved
Access Rights Type:
10 Sep 2019