One of the ACNC's objects is to 'promote the reduction of unnecessary regulatory obligations on the Australian not-for-profit sector'.
The ACNC works within the Commonwealth Government’s Regulator Performance Framework to reduce the cost of unnecessary or inefficient regulation – ‘red tape’.
The ACNC’s work on reducing red tape includes:
- sharing charity information with other government agencies to build a ‘report once, use often’ framework for charities using the ACNC 'Charity Passport'
- streamlining reporting for charities regulated by other Commonwealth bodies
- harmonising ACNC regulatory requirements with the numerous state and territory laws that cover charities
- commissioning research on red tape reduction in the not-for-profit sector to inform our work, and
- providing guidance and advice to charities to help them meet their regulatory obligations.
This website outlines the progress the ACNC has made in reducing red tape for charities based on a charity's structure and provides additional resources for charities and regulators of charities.