In November 2010 the Minister for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency commissioned Professor Garnaut to update significant elements of his 2008 Garnaut Climate Change Review. The review update was tasked to consider elements of the Garnaut Climate Change Review where significant changes have occurred, or the sum of expert knowledge has increased, since the original analysis for the 2008 Review was undertaken; and where such changes or improvements in expert knowledge could have significant implications for the key findings and recommendations of the 2008 Review.
The Review Update considered:
- international developments on climate change mitigation efforts;
- developments in climate change science, and understanding of climate change impacts;
- previous proposals to develop a carbon price in Australia, and the ensuing public debate;
- domestic and international emissions trends;
- changes in low emissions technology costs and availability;
- the potential for abatement within the land sector; and
- developments in the Australian electricity market.