These papers are a follow-up to a roundtable that reviewed the Australian tax system, the Henry Review recommendations and the extent of their implementation, and last year's Tax Summit at Parliament House.
In October 2011 the Academy, in partnership with the ANU and the Australia New Zealand School of Government, convened a roundtable event examining the tax and social transfer systems.
Held soon after the Federal Government's Tax Summit at Parliament House, the roundtable event was an expert gathering that focused on the Henry Review and long term reform priorities. This included:
- Principles for a coherent tax- social security system
- Personal income tax and financial assistance
- Social security pensions and benefits
- Retirement incomes
The Academy is preparing for publication an Occasional Paper. In advance of that publication, here are three articles from participants on the day.
- Andrew Podger and John Wanna: Towards a Stronger, More Equitable and Efficient Tax-Social Security System: Report on the Proceedings of the Castles Tax and Social Security Roundtable
- Dennis Trewin: Towards a Stronger, More Equitable and Efficient Tax-Social Security System: Overview of the Castles Tax and Social Security Roundtable
- Andrew Podger: Ian Castles and the Henry Tax/Transfers Review