This report into disclosure regimes for charities and not-for-profit organisations found that non-profit organisations in Australia are labouring under a heavy burden of regulation and that there is a pressing need for improved regulation and increased transparency.
The report recommends comprehensive changes to the non-profit regulatory environment including:
• Greater consistency in legislation governing non-profit organisations
• A single body to register and regulate non-profit organisations
• National fundraising legislation
• Appointment of a Minister for the Third Sector to manage issues arising for non-profit organisations
• A Taskforce to implement reform of the non-profit operating environment