Crafting Regional Growth – A guide to evaluating cultural tourism in your region was commissioned by the Cultural Ministers Council Statistics Working Group. This project has been managed through the Australian Regional Tourism Research Centre (formerly the Centre for Regional Tourism Research) at Southern Cross University. The centre is indebted to the Sustainable Tourism Cooperative Research Centre (STCRC) for providing access to the network of researchers and practitioners who have contributed to the guide’s development.
This guide is presented in a workshop format and steps users and participants through techniques for gathering information to assess the economic value, tourism impact and benefit of cultural tourism in a destination. It may also be used by individual researchers working through the guide independently. On completing the two-day workshop, participants will have the skills to be able to:
• Conduct a cultural asset audit which will identify not only the potential product in your destination, but who manages the product and how it is currently being used in tourism marketing;
• Perform an analysis identifying clusters and themes of cultural product that can be used in targeting specific tourist markets;
• Run a visitor survey to estimate the proportion of visitor expenditure which can be attributed to cultural assets in your destination;
• Run a business survey to estimate the value of cultural assets in supporting employment and business income, and
• Use the Tourism Impact Model1 (TIM) to assess the contribution of cultural tourism to the outcomes of the model.