On 22 December 2018, the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) Energy Council submitted a rule change request to the Australian Energy Market Commission (Commission) seeking to require the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) to assume responsibility for establishing values of customer reliability (VCR). If made, the request would establish a formal mechanism for the AER to develop a methodology for the calculation of VCRs, and to update and review VCRs on an ongoing basis.
This consultation paper has been prepared to facilitate public consultation on the rule change request and to seek stakeholder submissions. This paper:
• provides a summary of, and background to, the rule change request
• outlines the process for progressing the rule change request
• identifies a number of questions and issues to facilitate consultation on this rule change request
• outlines the process for making submissions
• provides an indicative rule reflecting the rule change request.
The AEMC considers this to be a non-controversial rule change proposal and is proceeding under an expedited process, with a final rule due in July 2018.