Terms of Reference
The Standing Committee on Health, Aged Care and Sport inquired into and reported on sleep health awareness in Australia, in particular:
- The potential and known causes, impacts and costs (economic and social) of inadequate sleep and sleep disorders on the community;
- Access to, support and treatment available for individuals experiencing inadequate sleep and sleep disorders, including those who are: children and adolescents, from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, living in rural, regional and remote areas, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander;
- Education, training and professional development available to healthcare workers in the diagnosis, treatment and management of individuals experiencing inadequate sleep and sleep disorders;
- Workplace awareness, practices and assistance available to those who may be impacted by inadequate sleep or sleep disorders, with a focus on: rostering practices for shift workers, heavy-work requirements, and the transport industry as compared to international best practice; and
- Current national research and investment into sleep health and sleeping disorders.