In 2016, over 190,000 tonnes of litter was collected from the streets of New Zealand by approximately 86,000 Keep New Zealand Beautiful volunteers. Motivated by this and with the support of the New Zealand Government, Keep New Zealand Beautiful carried out a National Litter Audit (NLA) in 2019 which compiled data through the physical inspection and visual counting of litter in a number of specific, fixed sites.
- Over 10 billion littered cigarette butts.
- Over 300 million litres of littered disposable nappies.
- Over 3 billion individual fragments of littered plastic.
- Over 200 million litres of takeaway containers.
- Over 200 million litres of illegally dumped material found across NZ's highways and railways.