As agreed by our Energy and Climate Change Committee late last year, at the start of the 2020s the Business Council will review and update its energy and climate change policy positions.
The objective of this project is to develop an updated, comprehensive energy and climate change policy package that is driven by science, technology and innovation to put Australia on a path to net-zero emissions by 2050. We will consider policy options across all sectors of the economy, taking a strategic and progressive view of how the Australian economy most effectively and efficiently delivers growth while achieving net-zero emissions by 2050.
All aspects of energy and climate policy are included in the scope of this review. This includes, but is not limited to:
- The guiding goals and principles that underpin the development of energy and climate change policies.
- The suite of policies required to drive the transition to net-zero emissions by 2050.
- How emissions reductions targets are set, delivered and reviewed.
- The range of technologies needed to reduce emissions and the policy settings required to drive the investment in these technologies.
- The requirements of different sectors, in particular emissions-intensive trade-exposed industries.
- The impacts on communities, jobs and industries of climate change and climate-related policies.
- A focus on adaptation and resilience.