This national survey by the Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS) of 955 people currently receiving JobSeeker, Youth Allowance or other social security payments with the Coronavirus Supplement shows the difference it has made to their lives. The overwhelming majority of people who completed the survey had been receiving one of these social security payments before the Coronavirus Supplement was brought in.
- 94% said the removal of the supplement would have a significant or extreme impact on their ability to cover the cost of essentials.
- 93% said they were now able to afford fresh fruit and vegetables.
- 83% reported eating healthier and more regularly. Prior to the supplement, 74% of respondents skipped meals. Of those who skipped meals, 28% skipped 1 meal a day or more
- 69% said they were now able to pay for essential medical and health treatments.
- 75% said they were able to pay their bills.
- 65% said it was easier to pay rent or move to safer accommodation.