This report explores the themes of the Youth19 open-text survey responses for young people who have ever been involved with Oranga Tamariki or Child Youth and Family Services.
Although there were differences in young people’s responses to the various question areas, we identified overarching themes across all areas, as shown in the table overleaf. In brief, these were:
- A powerful call for connection, togetherness and love, especially with family
- Safety at home and school
- The need to have a say and be treated fairly in living arrangements and at school
- Needs for basic material resources: warmth and housing
- Wanting to help others and to have help when things go wrong.