The Victorian Energy Market Report is your guide to how the electricity and gas market is performing. It aims to help customers understand how the energy retail market works and what they need to do to get the best out of it.
This report provides an in depth account of customers’ experiences in the Victorian electricity and gas markets in 2016–17.
It focuses on key findings including:
- Higher discount percentages don’t mean better value offers for customers.
- The cost of customers not meeting discount conditions has increased.
- The number of customers disconnected for not paying has risen in each quarter this year.
- Retailers made over $1 million in payments to wrongfully disconnected customers.
- An electricity customer who looks online for a new electricity deal will typically find themselves facing a list of over 230 generally available offers.
It also provides information on customer rights in the gas and electricity markets.