While you’re here… help us stay here.
Are you enjoying open access to policy and research published by a broad range of organisations? Please donate today so that we can continue to provide this service.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples should be aware that this resource may contain images or names of people who have since passed away.
Compared to the general South Australian urban population, people in this study reported lower levels of physical and mental health and experience of racism was associated with poorer health outcomes of participants.
After consultations with policy makers and practitioners, key policy issues were identified including:
• the need to create an Indigenous environment for all of us
• the importance of focusing on healthy environments and not health behaviours
• the need to make the social determinants of health work for Indigenous people
• the crucial importance of addressing racism as a means to improving health and closing the life expectancy gap
• the need for a holistic approach to mental health