The City of Melbourne has adopted an ambitious strategy that will guide the way the city collects and processes waste, while encouraging a decrease in waste production.
The City of Melbourne has three clear roles in this strategy: delivery, govern, and influence others.
The City of Melbourne will deliver:
- options to separate organic waste
- new resource recovery hub network for businesses
- a new expert advisory service to support an improved waste system
- a waste minimisation and innovation fund
- electronic waste recycling options for residents.
The City of Melbourne will improve governance by:
- strengthening Waste Management Plan guidelines for new developments
- reviewing regulations and permits for waste operators and bins in the public realm
- ensuring that critical waste infrastructure is protected and enhanced.
The City of Melbourne will influence others and advocate for:
- investment in new resource recovery infrastructure
- an incentive program to improve collection systems
- best practice sustainable procurement policies and processes
- extended producer responsibility and a container deposit scheme in Victoria.