This paper was produced to assist the Legislative Council's Standing Committee on State Development with its inquiry into the development of a hydrogen industry in New South Wales. The paper aims to provide an introduction to the topic by answering five questions:
- What is hydrogen and what can it be used for?
- How is hydrogen produced, stored and transported?
- What is the current state and potential of hydrogen internationally and what are the challenges?
- What is the current state and potential of hydrogen in Australia and NSW and what are the challenges?
- What are Australian governments doing to support a hydrogen industry?