This report, commissioned by the St Vincent de Paul Society NSW, examines the commitments of the New South Wales government since 2016 to develop new, additional social housing dwellings. The report is the first in a two-part series focused on the social housing system in NSW.
- Section one of this report details the public commitments made by the NSW government in relation to the development of new social housing dwellings since 2016.
- Section two provides an overview of the social housing that is in construction or has already been delivered in NSW since 2016.
- Section three provides current data from the NSW Housing Register and analysis of the number of people waiting for social housing against the number of social housing properties that have been committed.
- Sections four and five provide an analysis of the financial commitments made by the NSW government in relation to social housing.
- Section six compares the social housing system in NSW with New Zealand, Canada, England and Scotland. It also examines the proportion of social housing as a percentage of total housing stock in NSW against several international jurisdictions.