Infrastructure Victoria has examined the state of the waste sector, looked at what works across the country and around the world, undertaken technical analysis and consulted with local government, industry and the community. As a result, we have identified opportunities for investment, new processes and community action to support Victoria’s recycling and resource recovery sector. These include:
- developing a clear, overarching policy framework including recycling targets and waste-to-energy
- examining incentives and price signals for business and industry to improve their recycling performance
- supporting councils to implement consistent approaches to sorting and collection, helping to reduce contamination in household recycling collection
- separating food and garden waste from other materials to get more out our of organic waste
- better planning, locating and protecting waste management sites
- working with the Commonwealth and other states to increase consistency and reduce packaging and single use plastics
- increasing the use of recycled materials by eliminating barriers and updating government procurement guidelines.