This report makes 48 recommendations with a particular focus on fraud, financial abuse, substitute decision making, and family agreements.
Key recommendations of the report include:
• National industry-wide protocols for banks and financial institutions to report alleged financial abuse;
• Uniform legislation on powers of attorney across states and territories;
• A nationally-consistent approach to the assessment of mental capacity;
• A national register of enduring powers of attorney;
• Awareness and education campaigns for powers of attorney, advance health care planning and advance care directives, and family agreements;
• Nationally-consistent legislation on guardianship arrangements;
• A rebate scheme for legal fees for older Australians; and
• A review of retirement village contract arrangements.