This study finds that more support, services and education are needed to appropriately care for Australia's ageing population.
- Stronger lobbying and advocacy giving the needs of older people living with mental illness more prominence in aged care and mental health
- Address social isolation in older adults living with mental illness as a central tenet of any policy reform and advocacy work in this area
- Consult with older adults when seeking to understand the experience of living with mental illness
- Mandatory mental health training for staff working in the aged care and community support sectors
- Provide clear and easily-accessible information for older adults, their families, friends and staff about mental illness in older age
- Encourage GPs and other primary health professionals to seek additional training and education in the treatment of coexisting physical and mental health problems