In the interest of understanding the effect of Held back and the progress on a range of recommendations, the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission has completed a five-year analysis. This paper includes observations on what is needed to build on existing policy gains to achieve genuine change for students with disabilities in Victorian schools.
This paper addresses the following themes:
- maximising participation for students with disabilities through providing reasonable adjustments, the effective use of Individual Learning Plans and other tools
- accountability and the use of data
- workforce training and capacity, and the proposed new Inclusive Education Workforce Capability Strategy
- regulation and oversight of the use of restraint and seclusion in schools
- rights awareness, complaints and engagement.