This report was commissioned by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training to examine the literature, and provide advice to teachers, on artificial intelligence (AI) and the emerging technologies (virtual, augmented and mixed reality) in school education. The project was conceived of as translational research; that is, the purpose was to explore and explain often complex technical, social and ethical issues associated with the technologies in an accessible manner for the teaching profession. The project comprised:
- Three literature reviews, written for teachers on artificial intelligence (AI), virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR);
- Two ‘short read’ documents which distilled the messages from the AI and VR/AR literature reviews;
- Four classroom poster infographics, two on AI and one each on VR and AR;
- A mapping of quality online resources and their alignment to the Australian Curriculum on each technology;
- A selection of case studies, written by teachers, on using AI and VR for learning; and
- A targeted national consultation with experts on the implications of AI and emerging technologies for schools.